After returning from overseas in 1974, Paul Dentice was employed as a solicitor with another Wellington firm where he acquired a good grounding in property law while gaining some commercial and litigation experience. In 1976 he moved to the Development Finance Corporation, as in house legal counsel, where he developed skills in the areas of company securities and project analysis. In 1978 he commenced at the firm now known as Macalister Mazengarb and has, over his period with the firm, advised corporate clients of the firm in a range of complex commercial property and commercial restructuring and transactions.
Paul’s practice comprises acting for:
- Business clients in the areas of sale and purchase of assets and shares and shareholder, joint venture and partnership structuring arrangements;
- Property developers, in projects involving (tax-effective) restructuring, obtaining of resource consents, financing, construction, and the sale (by separate title) and leasing of developments including high rise;
- Commercial lenders, including drafting appropriate securities and inter-creditor arrangements to suit a variety of lending situations;
- Landlords, including those with nationwide property portfolios and preparing specific leasing documentation (for example, for shopping malls);
- Tenants, with multiple tenancies (offices and/or retail), and preparing “standard” documentation, for adoption by a particular tenant and its intended landlord;
- Various business sectors requiring specialist legal knowledge, including real estate agents, multi-outlet retailers, rest home operators, hoteliers and restaurateurs, including providing regular general advice and advising on legal compliance issues;
- Clients involved in complex land subdivisions, including advising on and drafting of specific easements, encumbrances and land covenants to facilitate orderly and beneficial future development;
- An entity, in both the establishment phase and on an on-going basis, with separate operating companies for its subsidiary business enterprises which include airport operation, electricity generation and reticulation, fishing, forestry and port operation, and in particular the documentation of relationships with third parties.
For more information about the firm’s Commercial and Investment Property practice click here.
Paul Dentice – Partner
Qualifications: LLB (Victoria University of Wellington)
Date of Admission: 1973